March 19, 2013

So I Challenged Myself...

I decided to take up the challenge Tim Holtz had on his blog at the beginning of the month... create something with his Tattered Floral die... yeah I'll be in that!

I have had a wooden tissue box in dire need of decorating for sometime and flowers are always a nice addition.  So off to my craft room I went only to find I didn't actually have that die *insert sad face* but I did have the Tattered Flower Garland die.  Although it meant I couldn't enter the challenge on Tim's blog, it didn't stop me for challenging myself instead.

I set to work die cutting strips of white cardstock, then inked up the pieces using spun sugar, salty ocean, milled lavender, peel paint and lemonade distressed ink...

 
 To give the flowers a little more detail I stroked the edges of the petals with distressed stain in a darker shade of each colour.  This method of applying the stain gave a nice stripe effect to the edges.

 
I cut strips of white cardstock to fit each side of the box and scored them on the diagonal before gluing on.  Then I cut thin strips to go around the bottom of the box, these were embossed with the Couture Creations: Annalee (Romantique Collection) Embossing Folder then distressed ink rubbed over the top. Once the strips were glued in place, I added a bit of tissue tape above, a bit more distressed ink on all edges and some ruffled ribbon around the top edge.
 
 
I folded each leaf in half too before applying distressed stain.  The flower layers were joined with different types of brads, then the petals of each layer were either curled or pushed into place.  Once I was happy with how they looked, the flowers and leaves were glued to the top of the box.

 
I had a spare flower with made a nice little addition to the front of the box and myself challenge was complete!


A pretty addition to my lounge room and too fun to make.

Supplies:
Distressed Inks and Stains
Tissue Tape
Ruffled Ribbon
Brads and (other bits)
Tattered Flower Garland Die
Couture Creations: Annalee (Romantique Collection) Embossing Folder
Martha Stewart Scoreboard
Spray-on Glue and Craft Glue

Have a great day!

1 comment: