March 03, 2014

Sewing Bibs!

 
Well the sewing machines have well and truly been dusted off and put to use... let the sewing adventures begin!

I felt it was time I made something for at least one of my three granddaughters.  Seeing as it has been forever since I last sewed, bibs seemed like a good easy project to start with.

I found some patterns on etsy that were sooo cute... I just loved the Apple, Pear and Pumpkin!

 
If you would like your own copy, you can get them from Precious Patterns HERE
WARNING: This shop has way too many super adorable patterns...lol!
 
It took me a bit to find all the right materials... fusible fleece/cotton batting is not so common in the stores near me but I did find it in the end.  The patterns were so easy to follow, even the instruction on how to put the binding around the neck.
I must admit I wasn't a fan of the brown bais around the neck for every bib.  As there were limited colours to choose from in my local material stores, I made my own in the colours I thought I would like more.  Yes I made my own... I went digging around in my bit and bobs and found a bais binding tool... who remembers these, hahahahaha!
 
 
A couple of tricks I used to make sewing the bias easier.... 1. Iron the binding in half before you sew.  2. Unfold the ends of the bais.  Fold in half right sides facing and sew the ends, then turn back through. 
 
You should now have a neatly sewn end.  3. Place a piece of tear-away under the bias as you sew it together (I found this gave the sewing machine feed dogs something to grip both sides and I ended up with straighter stitching.)
 
 
Once I had completed the first three patterns I then went on to make a couple of my own designs, a Strawberry and a Grape... well it's grape shaped...hehehe! 
 

There you go, super easy and so adorable!  On that note I'm off to sew a couple more.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment